Functions of Primary and Secondary Healthcare Department are as under:
1. Health management, planning and policy
2. Policy matters relating to guidelines regarding:
- Prevention and control of dengue & other vector borne diseases
- Prevention and control of polio & vaccine preventable diseases
- Special campaigns
- Prevention and control of infectious and contagious diseases
- Maternal Newborn and Child Health Services
- LHW Program
- All vertical programs
- Lepers Act
- Treatment of patients bitten by rabid animals
- Nutrition survey
- Vaccination and inoculation
- Public awareness campaigns all related subjects
- Maternity and child welfare
- Port quarantine
- Indigenous system of medicine
- Medical attendance of government servants
- Guidelines regarding levy of fee by medical officers
- Medical treatment of Government Servants, and general public
4. Control of medicinal drugs, poisons and dangerous drugs (Drugs Act 1976 and Punjab Drug Rules 2011.
5. Collection, compilation, registration and analysis of vital health statistics and estimation of population for future projections
6. Matters relating to Nursing:
Administrative control of the entire nursing cadre in the Province in respect of those working under the provincial Health department or in the teaching hospitals
7. Preparation of development schemes, budget, schedule of new expenditure and ADP proposals
8. Budget, accounts and audit matters
9. Purchase of stores and capital goods for the department
10. Service matters except those entrusted to Services and General Administration Department
- Matters relating to narcotics control and ancillary matters regarding:
- Legislation regarding sale and use of psychotropic substances or narcotic drugs.
- Treatment and rehabilitation of drug addicts in coordination with the Social Welfare and Bait-ul-Mal Department.
11. Administration of the following laws and the rules framed there-under:
- The Public Health (Emergency Provisions) Ordinance, 1944
- Epidemic Diseases Act, 1958
- Punjab Vaccination Ordinance, 1958 (W.P Ordinance XXVII of 1958
- Punjab Juvenile smoking Ordinance, 1959 (W.P. Ordinance XII of 1959)
- Punjab Prohibition of Smoking in Cinema Houses Ordinance, 1960 (W.P. Ordinance IV of 1960)
- Allopathic System (prevention of misuse) Ordinance, 1962
- Unani, Ayurvedic and Homoeopathic Practitioners Act, 1965
- Drugs Act, 1976
- Protection of Breast Feeding and Child Nutrition Ordinance, 2002
- Prohibition of Smoking and Protection of Non-smokers Health Ordinance, 2002.
- Injured Persons (Medical Aid Act) 2004
12. Matters incidental and ancillary to the above subjects.
13. Matters incidental and ancillary to the above subjects.